SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere is the best solution for most of our customers. However, some OASIS groups may grow in user count, increase data utilization or database size over time. As a result there is a need for more database options for larger OASIS groups.
Sizing the Need
Less than or Equal to 500 GB
Before considering database changes, take note of the size of the OASIS.db file. If the file is under 500 GB, verify your backup solutions and continue using SQL Anywhere. There is no need for change. For more information on verifying backups, contact customer support.
Files Between 500 GB and 1 TB
If the file is between 500 GB and 1 TB, the decision is based on the number of users and the speed of database growth. One indicator that it may be time to change databases is the size of the log files. If the log files are consistently over 1 GB and the oasis.db file is larger 500 GB, users may need to upgrade the database. Note: contact customer support immediately if the there is one large oasis.log file, as backups are not running.
Greater Than 1 TB
If the oasis.db file is over 1 TB, we recommend upgrading the database. SAP SQL Anywhere will work fine with 1 TB and larger databases. However, there will be down time to rebuild the database, and backups will become more difficult to manage. Note: any failure of a database this size will likely result in significant down time for recovery operations.
Nearing 2 TB
With databases nearing 2 TB, the database is nearly at the supportable limit. Contact customer support immediately, as we will not support OASIS databases on SQL Anywhere that are larger than 2 TB.
Archiving the Database
On option is to consider archiving the database to shrink it to a smaller size. This works for most users but does require downtime. Additionally, we see the size of the OASIS databases for our larger customers actually growing FASTER each year. This not only is a result of larger attachments being stored in OASIS but also simple more data being stored in the database.
Databases Supported for Use with OASIS
The databases that are supported for use with OASIS are described below. Each requires a database key to unlock the related drivers and performance tuned queries. Without the key, OASIS will fail to load.
SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere
- the default database used with OASIS
- performance is excellent for small and mid-sized companies
- requires limited maintenance and is very reliable. We have never had an instance where the entire database has been lost when a backup was available or if all transaction logs were available.
- Ingen Software supports any questions, issues, upgrades, and questions associated with the database
Oracle 18 Standard Edition
- we have added support for Oracle 18 Standard Edition
- able to grow well over 20 TB while providing better options for backing up the database
- an easy upgrade for larger database OASIS users
- Ingen Software provides a large discount for Oracle. Note: directly accessing the database by any other application violates the license. Users will be required to buy a license for full price if they intend to do this. This is an option Ingen Software supports.
- If you use our installer to install Oracle and only use our tools to manage the database, contact customer support if the database crashes
Microsoft SQL Server
- OASIS has been optimized to use the SQL Server and we will continue patch OASIS to fully support the SQL Server
- Ingen Software does not support the SQL Server Database
- If the database/ server running SQL Server crashes, contact your IT group responsible for the SQL Server
- Do not consider this option if you do not have someone available to recover the database in case the server crashes as the OASIS database may be lost. We recommend hiring a professional IT personnel if you use the SQL Server
- This option is not supported as it does not fit well with how OASIS utilizes a database.
Below is a decision tree for the recommended databases based on database size, and average log file size.
|Size of Database||Average Log File Size||Recommended Database|
|>=500 GB||not significant||SQL Anywhere|
|<500 GB and >1 TB||>1 GB||SQL Anywhere|
|<500 GB||<1 GB||Consider Oracle|
|<1 TB and >1.5 TB||<1 GB||Consider Oracle|
|<1.5 TB||not significant||Plan to upgrade to Oracle or archive|
|<2 TB||Must upgrade to Oracle or archive|
Please sign in to leave a comment.