Licenses provide users the right to use Legacy OASIS. This article will explain:
- Licensing Terms and Definitions
- Purchasing a License
- Types of OASIS License Files
- License Characteristics
- Licensing for Turnover
Not what you're looking for?
- To learn how to add an OASIS license, read our Adding OASIS Licenses article.
- To learn how licenses are addressed in O4, read our What is O4? article.
- To learn how to check the number of licenses keys that are currently uploaded, read our Verifying License Keys article.
Licensing Terms & Definitions
Before diving in, three terms need to be defined:
- License File is a .lic file provided by OASIS and uploaded by a user. A license file can be temporary or permanent. This is explained further in the Types of Licenses Files section.
- License Keys are the individual licenses that the license file authorizes.
- License refers to both the license file and the license keys.
If a company wants to purchase 20 licenses, they will receive one license file that provides 20 license keys for each user.
Purchasing a License
Companies must purchase one license key per user. To receive a quote and purchase an OASIS license, please contact OASIS Sales by calling 501-843-6750 or emailing email@example.com. Users will sign a license agreement which outlines the terms and conditions of the sale.
It's important to understand that purchasing a license is different from paying for OASIS support and receiving software updates; these features are provided under a paid Maintenance and Support contract. However, users who decide not to pay the Maintenance and Support contract will still own the right to use the last downloaded version of OASIS and use their purchased licenses.
Types of Licenses Files
There are two types of license files for Legacy OASIS:
- Temporary- this is a temporary license file that typically expires in 60 days. There is no cost associated with a temporary license. Its purpose is to allow immediate access while providing sufficient time to process payment for a permanent license.
- Permanent- this is a permanent license file that does not expire. It will be provided once payment is received. Each permanent license key will become associated with a user login. If a user is inactive for 14 days, their license key will disassociate from the user's login, and it will be reassigned the next time they log in or whenever a new user logs in.
- Each permanent license file comes with one (1) free temporary rotating license key that is designed for turnover. This is explained further in the Licensing for Turnover section.
OASIS can only hold one license file at a time. Each time a new license key is needed, a user will purchase and replace the old license file with the new one that authorizes the increased number of license keys, whether the file is temporary or permanent.
The following are characteristics of both temporary and permanent license files:
- Licenses are NOT concurrent.
- License files do not authorize the number of users that be signed in at one time. For example, if you have 20 users and you purchase 15 license keys, it does not mean that you can have any 15 of the 20 users logged in. License keys become associated with a specific login and will not release when the user signs out.
- Licenses are NOT machine specific.
- The license does not store data on the client side of the software. Users can log in using the same credentials on any computer that has access to the database.
Licensing for Turnover
First and foremost, do not delete users when they leave the company. Doing so will disassociate data within the database and will negatively affect reporting. Users can deactivate unused accounts by unchecking the Active checkbox on the General tab of the User Editor. The user will no longer have access to OASIS and will therefore be unable to hold a license key.
There are two solutions/scenarios that are applicable to turnover and licensing:
- Because permanent license keys will be released from a login after 14 days of inactivity, the new user can sign in on the 15th day and assume a permanent license without any action needed from the user or OASIS admin.
- When a user leaves the company, and a new user requires the license key before the 14th day, the new user can log in using the free temporary rotating license key that comes with a permanent license file. When the permanent license key releases and becomes available after the 14th day, it will automatically be assigned to the new user upon their next login.