Licenses provide users the right to use Legacy OASIS. It's important to understand that purchasing a license is different from paying for OASIS support and receiving software updates. Users receive these features through their Maintenance and Support contract. Users who decide not to pay the Maintenance and Support contract in the future will still own the right to use the last downloaded version of OASIS (and use their purchased licenses). Learn how to add a license file in OASIS or how licenses are addressed in O4.
Before diving in, three terms need to be defined:
- License File- this is a .lic file provided by OASIS and uploaded by a user.
- License Keys- these are the individual licenses that the license file authorizes. A license key becomes associated with a login.
- License- this refers to both the license file and the license keys.
For example, if a company wants to purchase 20 licenses, they will receive one (1) license file that provides 20 license keys for each individual user.
Purchasing a License
Companies will need to purchase one license key per user. For example, if a company requires 20 users to have access to OASIS, the company must purchase 20 license keys. To receive a quote and purchase an OASIS license, please call OASIS Sales at 501-843-6750 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Users will sign a license agreement which outlines the terms and conditions of the sale.
Users can check the numbers of license keys they have at any time.
Types of Licenses
There are two types of license files for Legacy OASIS:
- Temporary- this is a temporary license file that typically expires in 60 days. There is no cost associated with a temporary license. Its purpose is to allow immediate access while providing sufficient time to process the payment for a permanent license.
- Permanent- this is a permanent license file that does not expire. It will be provided once payment is received. Each permanent license key will become associated with a user login. If a user is inactive for 14 days, their license key will disassociate from the user's login, and it will be reassigned the next time they log in or whenever a new user logs in.
- Each permanent license file comes with one (1) free temporary rotating license key that is designed for turnover. This will be explained further in the Licensing for Turnover section.
Users can only add and use one license file at a time. Each time a new license key is needed, they will purchase and replace the old license file with the new one that authorizes the increased amount, whether the file is temporary or permanent.
The following are characteristics of both temporary and permanent license files:
- Licenses are NOT concurrent. License files do not authorize the number of users that be signed in at one time.
- For example, if you have 20 users and you purchase 15 license keys, it does not mean that you can have any 15 of the 20 users logged in. The license key will become associated with a specific login, and the license key will not release when the user signs out. Therefore, a license key cannot be shared with another user; every user must have their own license key.
- Licenses are NOT machine specific. They are a login to the OASIS system.
- The license does not store data on the client side of the software. Users can log in using the same credentials on any computer that has access to the database.
Licensing for Turnover
First and foremost, do not delete users when they leave the company. Doing so will disassociate data within the database and will negatively affect reporting. Users can deactivate unused accounts by unchecking the Active box on the General tab of the User Editor. The user will no longer have access to OASIS and will therefore be unable to hold a license key.
There are two solutions/scenarios that are applicable to turnover and licensing:
- Because permanent license keys will be released from a login after 14 days of inactivity, the new user can sign in on the 15th day and assume a permanent license without any action needed from the user or OASIS admin.
- When a user leaves the company, and a new user requires the license key before the 14th day, the new user can log in using the free temporary rotating license key that comes with a permanent license file. When the permanent license key releases and becomes available after the 14th day, it will automatically be assigned to the new user upon their next login.
Please sign in to leave a comment.