OASIS uses the Adaptive Server Anywhere (ASA) configuration tool to manage your database service. This tool stores and protects the OASIS database. However, the database software will not perform a full database validation automatically. Users must perform this process manually to ensure the integrity of the OASIS database tables.
Best practices and recommendations:
- Complete a validation at least once per quarter and store the backup at an offsite location for easy recovery.
- Run the validation process during non-peak hours, as it can place heavy strain on the server.
- Run the validation on a separate machine from the production database using a copy of the backup database.
- However, a validation can be run on the production database after logging all users out and stopping the database service, then allowing the validation tool to start the database in read-only mode.
Note: attempting to validate a backup database on the same server as the production database while the production database is running will cause the backup to start on an alternate port and the utility connecting to the production database to start on the default port. While this shouldn't cause damage, it will cause extreme performance issues and the validation will fail.
Running the Validation
1. On the machine hosting the database, search for and launch ASA Configuration.
2. The Adaptive Server Anywhere window will appear. Note: if you are validating the production database, log all users out of OASIS, then Stop the production database in ASA Configuration before proceeding.
3. Click Tools.
4. Select Verify Database from the drop-down list.
5. The Select database to verify window will appear.
6. Select the most current OASIS database copy or backup. For more information on obtaining a backup, click here. Note: if you are creating an off site copy of the database, select the database that was written to an external device.
7. Click Open.
8. ASA will begin validating the database. Note: as this process runs, the window status will read "Running...". The time it takes to complete will vary.
If the validation process finds that your database is corrupt or incomplete, an "ABNORMAL END: RC=#" message will appear. Contact customer support immediately by calling 501-843-6750 and provide the RC #.