The OASIS Archive Tool allows users to export historical data from the database to a specific location on a hard drive, giving users the ability to store projects/quotes, orders, invoices, and inbox messages outside of the database. Completing this process will free up space within the database. Note: this process is generally recommended to be initiated before the start of a weekend.
The tool will complete the following tasks:
- Free up space within the database in the form of "slack space", causing the database to stop growing in size until this space has been used
- Organize the exported data into folders for Projects, Orders and Invoices, Submittals, and Inbox Messages
- Allow a company to have a backup of historical transaction data that is independent of the database itself
The tool will NOT complete the following tasks:
- Delete transactions outright without first backing them up
- Shrink the database file itself
Before proceeding, please consider the following:
- Attachment shortcuts will be archived as a text file containing the linked file path. The shortcut will need to be recreated if the transaction is ever restored in OASIS, as dragging in the text file will not restore the original shortcut.
Using the Archive Tool
1. Navigate to the Configuration page.
2. Select Software from the drop-down list.
3. Click Tools, then select Archive from the drop-down list.
4. A new window will appear.
5. On the Settings tab, enter the number of years to keep in the database. Anything not updated within the identified timeframe will be archived. Note: the default is five years.
6. Check the By Create Date box to identify transactions by Create Date rather than Update Date.
7. Click Select Directory to set the designate the output location for the archive.
8. Check the boxes of items to be archived.
- In Box Messages- pulls data from the “In Box” application. Note: if you use OASIS to manage certain email accounts, this will archive data from that process.
- Projects & Quotes- pulls transaction data from the Projects and Quotes pages.
- Orders & Invoices- pulls transaction data from the Orders and Invoices pages. Note: all invoices will be stored in their respective order.
9. Check the box of the action to be taken for transactions after they have been archived.
- Will be deleted- once the transaction and its attachments have been archived, they will be deleted from the database.
- Will have attachments only deleted- once archived, only the attachments will be deleted. This option frees up space and allows for the transaction to still be included in reports by preserving the historical data.
- Save only- this will copy all transactions from the specified year range, leaving the original data intact in the database.
10. Click Archive. Note: this process may take several hours to complete.
11. A progress bar will appear, indicating that transactions are being archived. For a more detailed view, click the Activity tab. All information on the Activity tab will be logged to a file in the output directory.
12. Click Close when the archiving process is complete. Separate folders for quotes, orders, and messages will appear and the transactions will be sorted by a transaction ID in the archive directory that was specified.
Removing Slack Space
After completing the archive, users can rebuild the database to remove the slack space created during the archiving process. Please contact OASIS Support before starting this process by calling 501-843-6750 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will ensure that minimum disk space requirements are met and that this process is completed correctly.
Recovering Archived Files
To recover a transaction that has been archived, go to location of the archive and search for the transaction number. The file can be dragged and dropped back into the Software page. Check all boxes in the pop window that appears, then click OK.
Please sign in to leave a comment.